Audre Marans and
and Amy Elder
Alice Moerk and
Ellen Di Piazza
Sylvia Price and
Sarasota Pen Women are wildly
creative women dedicated to the ARTS. We are made up of
professional ARTISTS, WRITERS, and MUSICAL COMPOSERS and we have
the credentials to back it up! We LOVE what we do, and
love encouraging others along the creative path. Check out
our membership criteria
to see if you might be a good fit for our branch.
The Sarasota Branch of The
National League of Pen Women, Inc. (NLAPW) was founded in 1957. Our
local branch is composed of members in the field of Visual Arts,
Letters, and Music. We meet monthly October thru April; guest
speakers are invited to our monthly luncheon meetings to offer
inspiration and education in the varied multi-disciplined arts. In
the summertime more casual lunches are organized.
The visual artists hold an
annual art exhibition at one of the local art centers or galleries,
the Letters members have held panel discussions at the Selby
Library. Our members have earned awards at the State and National
level through competitions and biennial awards.
The Pen Woman,
our national magazine published quarterly out of Washington, DC,
highlights the talents and creative work of our members in the 135
branches throughout the country.
The primary focus of our
Sarasota Branch is our Awards Scholarship Program which, in the
past, has awarded more than $8,000 annually to graduating high
school seniors in Manatee and Sarasota County public schools.
Recently, a Mentorship
Program has been initiated to help these graduates develop
confidence toward a career in their chosen field.
In 2017 our Sarasota
Branch will celebrate its 60th Anniversary.
Join us for lunch one month and you'll see what we
mean. The food is good, the programs are great,
and mingling among each other is even better.
Check us out!
The National League of American Pen Women,
was founded in 1897.
Realizing a need for an organization that would include women of the
press, Marian Longfellow O'Donohue, niece of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,
decided to create such an organization. Along with Margaret Sullivan Burke
and Anna Sanborne Hamilton, she made plans for "bringing together women
journalists, authors and illustrators for mutual benefits and the strength
that comes of union."
On June 26, 1897, the
three women brought together 17 writers, novelists, newspaper women, a
teacher, a poet and an artist for the first meeting. Alice R. Morgan, an
illustrator for New York publishers, designed the League insignia, the
owl, symbolic of wisdom, placed in a triangle formed by a red pen, a blue
pencil and a white brush, colors of the American flag.
The first National
Convention was held in Washington, DC, in April, 1921, and the 300 women
in attendance were received by President and Mrs. Warren G. Harding. Mrs.
Harding was a distinguished member of The League, as was Mrs. Eleanor
In 1978, following its
80th birthday, The League was presented with the Literary Hall of Fame
Award in recognition of its contribution to the cultural life of the
United States Other recipients of the award have included Alexander
Solzhenitsyn, Ariel and Will Durant and Charles Schulz.
The official League
headquarters is the Pen Arts Building, built in 1895 and part of the
Dupont Historical District in Washington, DC. Its most famous occupant was
Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Abraham Lincoln. This 20 room
mansion was purchased by The League in 1951 and was entered on the
National Register of Historical Sites in 1978.
Membership in The League
is comprised of Active, Associate, International Affiliate, and Honorary
members engaged in creative work in one or more of the three comprehensive
membership classifications: Letters, Art, and Music.
The League offers its
members association with other creative professional women: workshops,
discussion groups and lectures related to the creative process. Writing
and poetry contests, art exhibitions (both juried and judged), and music
composition competitions conducted at local branch, state and national
levels of the organization.
Pen Arts Building
1300 17th St NW
of American Pen Women